The Organ of St. Peter's Church, Wellington, New Zealand

27

The organ was built by William Hill and Son, and installed in 1887. Although minor changes were made through the years, a major change was introduced in 1931 with the replacement of mechanical action by electro-pneumatic. In the early 1970’s the organ was drastically altered in an attempt to follow the principles of the organ reform movement. However, forty years later the organ was beginning to show its age and the time for a restoration to the original tonal design was drawing near. The issue was brought to a head in 2008, when a fire in the church created much smoke and water damage to the organ. The South Island Organ Company of Timaru were engaged to undertake the restoration of the instrument, and this was completed in 2010. Much research has gone into recreating the organ in harmony with its original concept and enhancing it with some discreet additions. The organ has a dual mechanical – electric action; the manuals being mechanical, and the pedal, coupler and stop action being electric. The facade pipes have been redecorated by Mark Nobel of Melbourne and put the finishing touch of elegance to the organ that looks and sounds magnificent in the beautiful timbered neo-gothic Church.

 

 

Specification 

Great Organ
Bourdon 16
Open Diapason 8
Hohl Flute 8
Principal 4
Harmonic Flute 4
Twelfth 3
Fifteenth 2
Mixture III (17.19.22)
Trumpet 8

Swell Organ
Lieblich Gedact 16
Open Diapason 8
Rohr Gedact 8
Viola da Gamba 8
Voix Celeste 8 (TC)
Principal 4
Lieblich Flute 4
Fifteenth 2
Mixture III (15.19.22)
Horn 8
Oboe 8
Vox Humana 8
Tremulant

Choir Organ
Lieblich Gedact 8
Dulciana 8
Wald Flute 4
Piccolo 2
Clarionet 8
Orchestral Oboe 8
Tremulant

Pedal Organ
Open Diapason 16
Bourdon 16
Echo Bourdon 16
Quint 11
Principal 8
Bass Flute 8
Fifteenth 4
Octave Flute 4
Trombone 16
Trumpet 8

Couplers
Swell to Great
Choir to Great
Swell to Choir
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Choir to Pedal
Great & Pedal Combinations Coupled
Generals on Toe Piston